Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Monday, February 20, 2006

Floored by talent...


Tonight I was absolutely floored by incredible talent. I was in heaven all day and filled with energy. My friends from ship life were in town today on the new Noordam. I was thrilled to see my friend and partner from the Zaandam Nicole. She looked great and of course I got to see Chris. It was a great afternoon and I hated saying goodbye after what seemed a short visit, but they needed rest for their shows in the evening and I was off to take class and then see my friend of a friend, Rena, in her one woman show "Spaghetti and Matzo Balls." After class I headed up to the Triad Theatre on W. 72nd St. to catch her cabaret.
It was packed and rightly so. I got in by the hair on my chin all by my lonesome. I sat with a few young guys. I was forced to be social because of the setting. It was tables and chairs a la lounge theatre. Her show opened and ran smoothly without a hitch. She was amazing. She told stories with fluidity and ease and captured every great moment. All true in her life and she's lived an amazing one so far. Hell, she sang in an Italian Mafia style restaurant for the infamous Bill Clinton. She sat at that table every Monday night with famous people including Billy Joel. All true and a fascinating and funny story. After her show was finished I scurried down to port to board the ms Noordam which is making its inaugural sail on Wednesday. All the VIPs from Holland America Line, Carnival Cruises, Stiletto Entertainment, and various travel agents and rich mariners were on board. It was a fabulous party. Open bar, open buffet, and free entertainment (which my friends were a part of). I saw the Vegas show tonight. I'm seeing another show tomorrow (a rock and roll show). My singing partner was amazing and all her fellow performers were superb. Why they're on a ship baffles me. These people need to be doing higher things. The talent was extreme. Crystal clear recording style voices. Flawless dancing and performances. The glitz and glamour were on during this show and it was a showstopper. It was like Vegas in NYC. Then I ran over to the lounge theatre where Chris was performing the Broadway cabaret the production singers will be taking over by Wednesday. The 4 of them were superb. The blend was extraordinary. The singing was astounding and the performances were so natural. It was cabaret style and this show could have fit in ANY of the cabaret scenes in NYC with ease. The cheese factor was high, but that's expected on ships and in cabaret shows. I was so moved by the talent my eyes were seeing and inspired. I'm very proud to have worked with these individuals on my last contract and excited to work and learn from Chris again.

Upon boarding this luxury liner though I was taken aback by what it had to offer. I don't think the glitz of Carnival or the simplicity of some of the other ships compare to this one. This ship was class all the way. The show lounge felt like a Broadway Theatre (although just a tad smaller). Even though it was smaller than a Broadway stage, once the show started it felt so huge. The lounges were all pristine. The guest room areas felt like a real hotel and not like a ship. Even the crew area where the performers are felt like a hotel. It was so nice. Besides all the wining and dining, I felt so weird being on as a guest. Everyone on board was treated like royalty. For a moment I was whisked away into a fantasy land. That will be my life in a month or so. Well, I must get some rest. Tomorrow is looking a lot like how today went. More free food, drinks, and good times. I wish I could share this feeling with some of my NYC friends because words can't describe what it feels like to see your friends after a long departure and then enter this fantasy world where everything is fabulous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home