Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Don't Tell Mama...

Shut up! I was doing laundry last night and guess who should call? Heather!!! I was excited to hear from her. Sad to tell her I was doing laundry on a Friday night, but I was deceived by the early darkness of winter thinking it was much later than it actually was. She asked if I could get together and my initial response was that I was just about to dry clothes then I checked the clock. It was only 6pm!!! Of course I could get together if I was just about to dry clothes. That would take an hour at most. So the clothes were dry and packed away for later and I met Heather around 8 in the city. She was there taking classes and auditioning. She only lives in Boston so it's not THAT far away. Her room, she says, was just like on the ship. It was so good to see her again and I was instantly happy. Now we were in Times Square and figuring out what to do. So we decide to go for drinks at Don't Tell Mama, a cabaret bar. After some fumbling around trying to find it we got there and had our first round of martinis. What should soon be playing in the background?!? Don't Go Breakin' My Heart!! Shut Up!! It was a live performance of course with the piano man and one of the bar staff. The night goes on as we put back another martini each. What's next is Proud Mary!! Yikes!! We start doing choreo and laughing having a good time. I knock over a martini glass. No breakage. Then a crazy.com starts talking to us. He seemed okay at first. Just normal queeny man at the piano bar. He even said "Shut Up" (which I think is catching on around the country since I'ce heard it amongst my friends AND on TV). He seemed normal until he really started to get into full queen and was getting too touchy feely for me. Then him and Heather went out for a cig where I lose some of the details. I only know that he was deemed crazy.com then. For those who don't know, "crazy.com" was our term on the ship for deeming people slightly to wholly off. It's pretty obvious, but the story behind it is very long (well in my terms). It involves websites, clicking on pictures, and winning the most votes for being crazy. Yet another martini goes back and Walkin' In Memphis gets sung. I, of course, being a sap got caught up in the memory of that song. I started to miss everyone. Love all my Zaandamers very much. We decide to have one more. This ending up being our fourth and I was pretty sassy, lol. We still hadn't heard anything from our Broadway show. Oh! Wait for it. Almost. Almost. Ahh. There we are. The pianist is back and playing New York State of Mind. Complete. Full round of songs and a night of memories. Don't Tell Mama was also so much fun. There's a just a great energy there and very small. Kind of like the crew bar on the ship. Good times, good times. Anyway, break a leg today Heather (but not in the literal sense). I'm always a little nervous to say that to people in our cast considering the events, lol. Oh so one more thing. So... she shows me her hand right. She asks me to look at her hand and being clueless I don't see anything. So she points out a lump on her right wrist. I go "isn't that normal?" and proceed to look at mine. No not normal. Apparently the doc tells her it's a ganglionic cyst (yes Heather I'm spelling this right.. remember Science Camp here, lol). It's stress from over use. She wonders how she got this and then it dawned on her. Canes, hats, fans, chairs, towels, bamboo sticks, tambos, balls, phones, beads, chains, fiddles, and umbrellas. Did I miss anything? Got Props? Yup. That's all I need to say. The Zaandam curse is still kicking some of us. Anyway. I miss you all and if you're in town, give me a ring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home