Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Boot camp for Broadway - All kinds of sore...

My typical morning. I wake up after an intense night of dreaming. Lately, I've been having these intense dreams. Could it be my brain is overloaded with information? Anyway, I wake up and notice there's a kink in my neck. I guess that was from that Hairspray number and the newly learned Tommy section of the Broadway review. No worries, I'll work through that in my hot shower. As I start to move my appendages and lift my legs out from under the covers, I feel my abs now crying out. Yup, that's from that cracked out Mama Mia section of the show I just learned the other night also from partnering and contractions throughout all the pieces we learned so far. My feet make it to the floor and I go to stand up. OH MY GOD!!!! My legs are crying out in horrific pain. That's from any male dancing I do in these shows because it's all about athleticism, not technique. Lots of lunges, Fosse like positions, jumping, and Oh yes EVERYTHING'S low to the ground for stlye. I manage to get to the coffee maker, my bloodline in the morning, and make some fresh brew before sitting down at the dining room table. Only that task isn't so easy because my glutius maximus doesn't want any pressure on it. I ease into the chair a la old man style and load up my daily e-mails that I hope to respond to when my brain is functioning (although for some reason my brain seems to be functioning enough for this entry). Oy! I enjoy the piece and quiet of my breakfast before I make my crazy dash to get ready for rehearsals. I meet my wonderful cast and head over to the studios in Inglewood for another fun-filled day of high energy choreography. I hope my muscles get used to this soon and my brain gets back on track. The good thing is I can see my spare tire disappearing. YAY!! I'm sure after another week of jacked up choreo, I'll be a little more trim and cut. That's where the payoff will be for my aches and pains. Another payoff will be seeing the faces on those passengers who just can't believe how much energy we have. Believe me, I don't know where it's coming from, but I hope it keeps flowing. Especially after I just learned the mind screwing Varisity Drag/42nd Street section of the show. I'm fried. It's flappers on speed folks. Tomorrow we learn the Latin section (America and Sweet Charity numbers) which thankfully I'm not in much of. Monday we learn the very athletic Broadway country section to wrap it up. Oh boy, I hear the cries of help screaming from my hamstrings already.
So, I lost the battle on the bumper duo (the welcome aboard show). It's the pop song "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" instead of "I've Got the World On a String" a la Barry Manilow. It's pretty cute. Very choreographed. For all you Barry fans out there, through the chain link fence of the promotional area I see hoards of Barry's CDs, Tapes, T-shirts, programs, keychains, and all kinds of junk. I guess he's the main client there in the pop music realm. Quite fascinating. Well, I'm signing out. It's bed time for me. I wonder what the dreams will be tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home