Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Dance Dance Dance..

Today was the first day of dance rehearsal. OH MY GOD!!! I'm going to be so sore tomorrow. The opening of our Broadway review is to "You Can't Stop the Beat" and I swear that the choreography in this show is 5x more active and complicated than the actual show on Broadway. I got to see a video of the cast currently on board the other day and it appears I do a lot of dancing. Especially in the Oklahoma/Seven Brides section. Oy!! Gotta get those dancin' feet going. Vocally, it's been great. I've been singing comfortably and hitting notes I've never hit before. The vocal coaches are pleased from what they've said and from what I gather from their energy toward me. One test passed. YAY!! I'm still waiting to hear about my physical, so that I'll hear about tomorrow or sometime next week. They shouldn't find anything since I just had my blood reviewed last October and nothing significant popped up. Nothing that would make me unfit for duty.
Tomorrow will also be my choreography test. I'll be working as a sketch group with a brand spanking new show. It seems they are taking away the cheesy all tracked 10 minute all aboard shows and replacing them with singer featured 10 minute shows. This is the first show the passengers see from the cast their first night on board. In the past these have been heavily tracked, all danced, beads and feathers kinds of shows. The girls come out with huge Vegas style back and head pieces and it's just a bunch of glitz and glamour to flash the audiences. These shows, from what I understand, have made audiences NOT want to see the cast in other shows since it puts them off. Especially with the American Idol craze (since in these types of shows the singers don't sing). So now I guess the costumes will be toned down a bit. We open with a huge dance number and the singers fill in the meat of the show in a cabaret-like style with full songs. The male and female leads get their own song, and the second leads get a duet. We each have 2 options. My partner and I have to learn "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" as the pop option and "I've Got the World On A String" as the more musical theatre option. She's a pop singer, I'm more musical theatre. So we're both rooting for different pieces. It all depends on what they decide is best for the demographic of our ship though. I'm thinking it's going to lean more in my favor. It should be fun.
L.A. has been beautiful, but after just getting off the phone with my mom I guess it's been beautiful on the east coast as well. Temps have been in the 70s and 80s with NO HUMIDITY. Gorgeous. I'm loving it. Even though L.A. has smog, I can still smell the sweet scent of the various tropical plants here that give a nice calming feeling. Stress levels are definitely lower and my concentration has gone way up. No creative spurts at the moment. There's just enough room in my "bucket" (to be explained later) for the new material to sink in and become muscle memory. I'm working with some great people and impressing where I need to impress. 'Tis all good. I wish you all could get on to see these shows. It's not like these shows will run you $60/ticket. It's more like $1,800/person!! 'Tis a lot of moolah to come and see lil ole me. There's always video. It won't be the same. I've seen the videos. They don't do justice. I'll do my best. Adieu for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home