Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

To China And Back...

One day in Hong Kong, People's Republic of China brought back a whole slew of childhood memories. About 20 years ago in 1987 I took a trip to the Far East with a group called the Singing Angels. Every summer they planned a tour to somewhere on the globe to sing and see the sights. I was merely 14 years old when I made the trip and really took for granted all the sights I was actually seeing. We spent about 4 days in Hong Kong in which one of those days we went to Macau Island, then we went to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, and Tokyo. It was amazing to see all those things at such a young age and I will be seeing some of those places again. I just went to Hong Kong on this worldly adventure and had a full 24 hours to explore it. It wasn't the best of weather days, but it was still worth it. Last time I was here we took a trip to Aberdeen Harbor and the Stanley Market. This time it was just too far away to do in just a day. So, we still took the trip to Victoria's Peak. It has definitely changed over the last 20 years. Now there's a fascinating viewing structure with all kinds of shops and restaurants inside. There's also a bright and shimmering new mall right next door. Last time I remember seeing this sight it was just a windy road with a few little shops alongside. I do remember a McDonald's being close by, because that's about all I would eat back then seeing as it was my first time away from home, my first time out of the country, and my first time out of the state all in one trip. I grew up on family cooking and to suddenly have the taste of the Far East was not an appetizing experience. These days my taste buds have changed though and I've grown accustom to new fruits, cold seafood, and various other delicacies and delights from around the globe. However sushi is still not my top favorite, and since that's where the group decided to eat, me and another friend went to have some nice comfort food at the KFC just around the corner. Ahh well. I guess SOME things never change. The peak view was still breathtaking despite the cloudy and hazy weather. We did take the tram ride back down the hill and that was still a thrilling experience. Inside the tram the chairs don't compensate for the tilt in the hill, so you lean back as if you were on a rollercoaster lift. The thrilling part is that a cable is keeping both cars from careening down the hillside and the views are still amazing as you approach the city of skyscrapers. The city has some amazing architectural structures that rise to the sky in this harbor city. It seemed to have grown so much in the past 20 years. I was just blown away by all the LCD screens and lit up advertisements that put Las Vegas to shame. That night we ventured out to the night market not to far from our port area of Tsim Sham Tsui in Kowloon (the mainland). Before we headed into that area we took in the light show that runs every night on Hong Kong Island at 8:00pm. Hong Kong Island was across the harbor and all the buildings light up in sync to music. It was fascinating to watch as about a half mile stretch of skyscrapers and small buildings lit up and flashed in time with the music playing over the loud speakers. There were even lasers and bright searchlights scanning the sky from the top of some of the larger buildings. It was all well orchestrated and intriguing. For a moment I thought I was watching a show at Disney's Epcot Center. A voice even came on and explained that in the true spirit of Hong Kong how they were delighted to present this light show to demonstrate Hong Kong's thriving industry and pride in their country. The voice was very Disneyesque and then the music sounded like it was coming from Disney's light parade. It was so funny. The night market was filled with all kinds of things from pirated DVDs, trinkets, knock-offs, and clothes. There were all kinds of huts with either plastic or tin roofs all close together in rows. It was raining a bit so I'm glad I brought my umbrella to shop in comfort since some of the huts were packed with people. I didn't buy much since it was mostly souvenirs. We sat down for a drink or two before everyone got tired. We wanted to go out to some clubs, but the over stimulation throughout the day got the best of us all. Now we're on our way to Vietnam. I've never been there, so it should definitely be an exciting experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home