Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Monday, January 15, 2007

Sensory Overload..

As we sail down the western coast of South America into Peru I take today as a day of complete relaxation. Our first since we've been on board. Yesterday's rehearsal was a rape of the senses for our Broadway show. From the beginning we were told this would be a show we would lay into and have fun. We could use the microphones and the live quality of the show to take control, pace ourselves, and listen to each other on the tight harmonies. Yesterday was none of that. I now have a new respect for lead vocalists in a band and I now understand why they have to wear earpieces to hear themselves in those tight environments. I've sung with live bands before. They were just so far back or so far away that the monitors for the singers overpowered their sound and we could hear ourselves. Yesterday they were closer than I was ever used to. They were literally in our comfort space, but that's the whole point of the show. The director wanted everyone working together as a team and be close together like a group. It wasn't supposed to be like a normal show where the band is tucked far away and just the performers are out front. This poses a new problem though where the sound just overwhelmed us. Our vocal coach was telling us how in the studio we came at her with a wall of sound and intruded her comfort zone. We had to act more like musicians and listen to each other instead of singing at her. I felt karma came back and slapped us yesterday. The band played and it was this wall of sound coming at us from behind. We suddenly felt all alone as an ensemble. None of us singers could hear each other let alone ourselves. We lost control of our songs and our show. Some moments that were supposed to be free were run by the band. The band is supposed to follow, but the show is so new and so different than what they're used to with us that they just ran the show. My ears were ringing at the end of it. Even our production team said it was too much. We will finesse this show until we find a good group mix on stage. It's just that now with the band being so close, I realize that when you have the chance to listen and blend in a performance situation, take advantage of it and tune in. Listen to each other. It really works.

After such an over stimulating rehearsal of my favorite show (it will always be my favorite because of the content and the fact that it IS live) we strolled into the town of Manta. It was definitely a contrast to the day. A cab took us to the city beach. It was the only close place we could go with our 2 hours of land time. Quito renowned for it's Andes mountain peaks was 600 miles away and the Galapagos Islands were 900 miles away from shore. Clearly Ecuador isn't a place for a day trip unless you're flying somewhere else from this port town. Nevertheless we still had a fabulous time. We sat down at a local place called Surfista on the beach to eat. The music was pumping and a large group of people either family or friends were celebrating across the way from us. The people seemed so friendly and carefree. They were just getting up and dancing in the middle of the restaurant. I now know where my friend Brooke was coming from when she just wanted to get up in a restaurant in NYC and dance. These people just did and they were enjoying life. We strolled on the beach as the sun set and it was scenery to take in and absorb. As we walked back to the ship the local birds were gathering on the wires. Pelicans were flying everywhere. A warm wind was blowing through the humid sky. It's summer here. I skipped right over winter and spring as we crossed the equator. I still haven't seen the water swirl the other way. I guess I'll have to go to a land bathroom and test out that theory on the next crossing in Australia. Tomorrow is Peru. Today is total relaxation. Sun sun and more sun. Ahhh. This is what I signed up for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home