Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Chillin' in Chile...

We left Peru a few days ago and are now headed toward Antarctica for our trip around Cape Horn, which I hear is actually quite rough. As I sit here in my cabin in a daze after the last few days' events the ship is starting to toss in these rougher waters already. Whoa. I haven't seen much of Chile. Today was my first full day in Coquimbo. Our firs Chilean port was Arica, which I didn't see at all since rehearsal for our Broadway show took most of our day away. I did get out for a bit in Antofagasta. There wasn't much to see since we had limited time and I couldn't do a tour. It was a beach day and boy was the sun hot. We walked to a nice local beach and sun bathed. Between my skin and my hair, I'm starting to look like a strawberry blonde surfer. I've been trying this new look with my hair of lightening it and the added sun just makes it look lighter as well as my darkening skin. The next day we were at sea and I had the best 2 shows I've ever performed on a cruise ship. It was our LIVE Broadway debut and it just felt so good to do a show where we were free to lead a song where we wanted to take it. The band had a great time, we had a great time, and the audience loved it too. I had great moments singing my favorite piece in the show by Billy Joel (New York State of Mind). The message of the song not only gives me great motivation, but the Manhattan Transfer style backup vocals give it that jazzy blues feeling I love singing along with. I take moments at the beginning and end that just ease out of me unlike any show I've done for this company so far. My other comedic moment I just have a ball with and get great pleasure that as a singer/dancer in this company I have 2 meaty and leading man material solos to perform. The night was young as we ended our show and we took the party up to the Crow's Nest where our Cruise Director got us a few rounds. We then took the party downstairs to the crew bar and socialized the evening away into the morning hours. This afternoon I was off in the lovely little town of Coquimbo where there were bright beautiful skies and a warm breeze coming over the mountaintops. We had some local faire at a grill type restaurant and then headed upward to the top of the hill to see the countryside. Later on the locals told us that the residential area we climbed to was home to some thugs known for their skill of assaulting and robbing tourists. Nice. Well, at least we didn't know and we traveled in a nice big herd. The scenery was amazing. For the rest of he day we just chilled in the strong breeze at a local café where one of the residents joined us for some lovely lazy day conversation. We lose our production team tomorrow in Valparaiso as well as our fun loving magician we all befriended since he got on board in Peru. We all hate to see them go so we'll be partying up tonight after his show is finished. So far so good. One show to go before we take our 40-hour flight to Sydney. Yikes!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home