Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Peruvian Nights...

So my Peruvian experience was mostly at night. I got off for a moment in Salaverry, Peru. This is where about 200 passengers disembarked for their $2,000 excursion to Manchu Pichu. Upon pulling in it strangely resembled the port of Alexandria, Egypt. Sand everywhere, dry, windy, and unfinished stacked brick block homes. In fact there were some temples far out that resembled some temples you find in Egypt. We just took the 45-minute shuttle into town and strolled around the city. We saw some sights and went back to town. We had rehearsal later, so we were pretty exhausted from it all. The next day was Lima, Peru.

Remember the crazy St. Pete overnights I wrote about earlier? I had one in Lima yesterday. It was crazy. The port is JUST like Russia. Crap and far away from everything. You take a cab out past the gates, but good luck getting one to take you all the way to the ship. We got a new magician on board all of 21. He's just a baby guest entertainer. He's a real cool guy. So cute. We started out with a group of 3 cabs and we lost one in the process. We didn't know where they went so we had some drinks in this resort town around a bunch of hotels and a mall. Then we cabbed it over to this Irish pub. Yes, an Irish pub in Lima, Peru. The lost cab was there and the rest of the ship staff that went out that night. The place was packed and HOT!! Stifling. There was a smokin' band playing some good tunes and the vibe was carefree. The local bartender had a perfect USA accent. It was great. A local suggested we go to a disco, which ended up splitting the group in three directions. Cabs took people elsewhere, a group walked, and another group got left behind and walked to another place. I was in the walking group that didn't get left behind with some cast, our Production Asst, and the baby guest entertainer magician. We ended up at this hole in the wall bar with a DJ they claimed to be a disco. The front was a little shack with a patio and it looked like a café. Then you go through this door into the "disco." The magician was itching to get out since the place went dead around 3:30am. We found a San Diegan visiting that had connections to another disco so he could get us in for free. This was a REAL disco (and a Ho Bar). Prostitutes everywhere. It was hilarious. Eight of us stayed including our P.A. and the magician and we danced through until 6am. It was fabulous. I must've gotten propositioned at least 4 times. I was dying. Just laughing inside. I was dancing the night away with one of our photographers who knew how to Lindy Hop, so we salsa danced. She was a great partner. Good resistance and knew how to follow. She used her knowledge of Lindy Hop to do all the tricks and turns of salsa and I pretty much just improved it all. It reminded me of the days at the local Eagles club in Ohio when my mom and Aunt Mary would teach me how to Lindy Hop. It was fun and I was drunk. Lol. We took a cab back and boarded the ship in a walk of shame as the sun rose upon the next day. I haven't gotten off to see much since we don't have much time with rehearsals and all, but I'm partying. Today was another day in Lima, but I really didn't get going until 2pm. I guess we had to be back by 4pm to turn in our Peruvian Visa so we'd leave port on time. We found this out AFTER getting on the shuttle into town. So we spent 10 minutes in town, took a few pictures, and came back to the ship. Ahh. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home