Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Pampering..

Yesterday was a day of absolute pampering. The day started off at 8am as I woke for breakfast so I could spend the next couple hours afterward in the spa. I was on duty as "in port manning" (IPM) so I had to do something for myself. This chest cold of mine has been giving me trouble so the spa manager offered me the key to the thermal suite again so I could sit in the steam room. This suite is a huge bath type place with lots of goodies in store. I went in donning my chic robe provided and my water. I started off in the small steam room breathing in the hot air and loosening the gunk in my chest. Afterwhich I decided to rinse off in the shower. Now these are no ordinary showers. These showers have a cool mist function that shoots out a dose of eucalyptus as well. This felt so good. I tried to nap on the warmed tile recliners, but I was too warm to sleep, so I got in the hot tub. My muscles turned to jello. Another cool mist shower and into the larger steam room. I thought I could do some yoga in there while I was loosening up the phlegm in my chest. I stretched a bit too hard and felt a little dizzy so it was another cool mist shower and this time I did lay down for a bit. One more trip to the steam room and one more cool mist shower and I was done for the morning feeling much better and VERY relaxed. I spent 2 hours in this fabulous suite. Just as I was about to leave I checked on the crew special for an exotic manicure at a very discounted rate. She said to come back in 15 minutes and handed me a tissue of eucalyptus scent to keep my passages open. I came back after dropping some things off in my cabin and enjoyed a full hour of pampering to my arms and hands. She cut, buffed, and moistened my nails then provided a hand and forearm massage. This also included a salt scrub and an application of aromatic oil. She polished me off and that was the end of my first ever manicure. I had a small lunch (since dinner was going to be big) and had a minor disruption. Since I was on IPM duty, I had to participate in the passenger boat drill for all newly embarked guests joining the ship in Skagway. Afterward I caught up on some writing and got ready for dinner. The four of us singers made reservations at the classy Pinnacle Grill restaurant on board. This restaurant is new and part of Holland America's Signature of Excellence upgrade to provide guests with alternate dining options. The cost is only an extra $20 to eat in this fine dining atmosphere. We all got dolled up and went out for the evening. Dinner started off with a complimentary appetizer from the chef. It was a plate of 3 samples. A small spinach kitsch that was to die for. It just melted in your mouth. Next to it was cold shrimp in a tomato salsa on melba toast. Amazing. Finally there was a small spoon of smoked salmon pate. I was going to ignore this, but decided to try it anyway. After much hassle for many years from my good friend, I just couldn't pass it up without a small taste. I've never tasted smoked salmon, cold, that was so good in my life. I ate the whole sample and finished my plate. My Johanssen Riesling came about the time of the tasting and went fabulously with all my appetizers. Next was the Thai chicken soup. It had a coconut base with various vegetables and a squirt of lime. It was orgasmically good. I don't even think Pam Real Thai in NYC could cook up something this delightful. It was a little spicy, but I was feeling a little sassy drinking my Riesling anyhow. Next I ordered crab cakes. I had crab cakes at Steamers in Ketchikan that were to die for. These were almost comparable, but very good. We ordered a bottle of Pinot Noir to go with our meal since 3 of us ordered the filet mignon and one ordered lamb chops. I had the Pinnacle cut (the 7oz portion) medium rare with bernaisse sauce with sides of garlic roasted mushrooms and asparagus with bernaisse sauce. The meal was fantastically delicious and the meat was so tender you could cut it with a butter knife. The wine, although a red, was fabulous and sweet and went well with the meat. I was in heaven sitting in the beautiful atmosphere of this fine dining restaurant being pampered by 3 waiters and a wine steward. The final course was creme brulee. This was no ordinary creme brulee though. This was a tray of 3 different flavors. Vanilla, coffee, and chocolate. I had a cappuccino to compliment. It was pure heaven dissolving in my mouth. What was even more fantastic was the chocolate volcano cake with grand marnier cream that the other 2 ordered. Oh my God!!! This was an evening well spent. This would classify as a $150 meal per person or more in any NYC fine dining restaurant. The cut on the steak and preparation would have cost $35 alone. Those appetizers were amazing. We strolled up to the Crow's Nest at the top of the ship as the sun was setting around 10pm to have freshly squeezed grapefruit martinis. It was a perfect ending to a day of pure decadence. Especially as we were passing through a strip of water with low lying clouds and snow capped mountains. It was also special since this was a date as well as good company with our leading ladies. How much more romantic can you get? I will be so well rested after a day like today.

Singers Night Out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home