Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Taking Things for Granted..

As I was typing letters one sea day I realized how many things on land that I missed. I've been with this fabulous cast for about 8 weeks now. Everyday seeing them, enjoying them, and rehearsing. My days were filled with learning new material, socializing, and cultivating a crush I had on one of my cast members. Not much time to think about anything else. Even the 2 weeks of those 8 at sea were just as hectic. So, when we were given a break (on a sea day), the cast split to take naps, write letters, make calls (those who could), and do other things on their own. This was great because now I had time to catch up with MY friends on land. As I began to type letter after letter, I began to get homesick suddenly. On land I could call a friend whenever I wanted. On land I could make a snack or walk to the convenience store when I wanted. On land I could watch any numerous forms of entertainment available. On land I could walk up the street and visit a close friend or hop on a subway. On land, I didn't have to wear 3-4 outfits a day to accommodate the various places I want to just hang out. There were gatherings with different groups of people, creative outlets, and fun times. Now, the restrictions I'm under all creeped up on me at once. Don't get me wrong. I love it when I'm performing and doing my gig. I love hanging out with cast members. I also love that there's a spark of a love interest happening that could take off. I just think homesickness was a natural reaction for me since my life has been absurdly busy. Since moving to NY there have been social gatherings, work, and other factors. The slow and easy lifestyle here is forcing me to relax and breathe. It's like going into rehab for speed. You get taken off the NY minute of a lifestyle to this relaxed pace and it can drive you crazy at first. It's what I came here for, so I should embrace it. Although it has really given me time to think about things and I hope to savor those moments when I can call a friend, see a show, cook, visit a neighbor, or go to a gathering when I'm back on land. In the meantime I have no obligations. I'm seeing different beautiful places, having 4 square meals prepared for me everyday at no charge, my bed gets made, my room gets cleaned, my linens get changed, I work 3 nights a week out of 7 doing what I love to do, and through all of this I'M getting paid to travel and not the other way around. These are things I should savor right now that I don't get on land. It's a catch 22 really. You make sacrifices to have certain things. If life were perfect, you'd be bored.
On a side note. I should have pictures of places coming soon. I have to get on land and do things first. This is the first week I can do that. I'll post some pics soon of the shows. The shows are going great. We have a really awesome southern show. The Broadway review is okay and our other review is just not up to par with the others. It's the VP's baby though, so perform it I will to my best ability. I hope to get over my sickly cough soon so I can sing out without concentrating so much on technique to get these rafter notes out of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home