Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Monday, January 12, 2009

Actor Panic...

The first week of auditions for the year is over and the next week starts today. Last week was definitely an eye opener as to how the economy is affecting the entertainment market. Along with 9 Broadway shows closing last Sunday the announcement came that Carousel Dinner Theatre in Ohio was closing. Also North Shore Music Theatre in Boston is said to be in trouble and threatening to close its doors. Carousel has been open now for about 35 years and North Shore about 55. It's sad that these long standing institutions of theatre are closing because of the economic hardships right now. People are beginning to eliminate fun out of their budget. I remember the old saying that "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." Of course with the advent of new technology (Wii, Blue-Ray, and recorded live performances) who needs to go out anymore? What aggravates me though is that people take for granted the things they have at their disposal. Live theatre right now is suffering because people are panicking about spending too much and staying in. It'll still be there when this is over right? No. If you don't get out of the house and have a nice evening out once in a while enjoying live theatre or any event outside the home, it will disappear. Theatre IS a business. Once it's gone people reminisce about how good it USED TO be. It didn't have to go extinct if people saw the good that was right in front of their faces. The last show of "All Shook Up" at Carousel played to a packed house. Most Broadway shows that close play to packed houses as well. Why wait until something is on the verge of extinction to fix it. Fix it now. Go out and see a show, an artist, or something live. Let's not live the rest of our lives with our money tucked in our mattresses and our view of the world through an electrical box in our living room. These are tough times, but if we keep pulling back out of fear, then it only fuels the situation. Especially the young. No one under 60 should be stuffing money in their mattresses, but should be investing in the market or fueling the economy somehow. Even those over 60 can take small chances with hopes for a return in the next 4-5 years. If we never leave the protection of our shelter, how will we ever know we're clear of the storm?

A lot of people think what I do is child's play. I always get the response of "Oh you're an actor, but what is your real job." Play-acting IS my real job. Just as stock market traders trade on Wall Street as their real job. Both industries right now are in trouble because of the current state of our economy. Thank you Bush Administration. I can feel it here in New York. Last week actors were out en masse trying to score the next job wondering if the theatre they were auditioning for would be closing in the near future. Myself included. I was just out as I normally would be trying to have a good audition. I haven't "lived" the "actor in New York" lifestyle yet, so I had planned on going to every audition I could anyway. Some of the more seasoned actors though are out just trying to land anything they can despite their connections. In the union there are 2 types of auditions posted. One is a principle call that requires you to make an appointment and usually runs all day in 2-minute slots. The other is a chorus call where you can sign up on the list a week before and then just show up at the audition a half hour beforehand to get your spot in line. When things are smooth in the world, the appointment days (depending on the theatre or show) are usually easy to get into no matter what time of day. I wouldn't necessarily have to be there an hour before sign-ups begin to get an appointment, but I could just show up during the day and get an appointment for within a half hour of me being there or for later in the day. Lately it's been that I have to show up at least 2 hours before appointments begin their sign-in, which means I'm arriving at the sight at 6:30am or earlier. Yikes! Chorus calls have still been crazy. Over 200 guys show up to fit in a tiny holding room. Even though you're on the list it still affects the call because instead of a standard 16-bars of music, you get reduced to a type-out, 8-bars or music, or scales even. It's crazy. Hundreds are showing up for small theatres in Lancaster or Maine. Anywhere a job is available. Theatre IS a business and people are out of work. I wonder what this week will entail. Some Broadway and Off-Broadway shows are auditioning as well as some small theatres in Long Island and upstate New York. The rooms are going to be stuffed. I hope we get out of this economic slump soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~R said...

I SOO admire you, seriously. And all other performers. I used to want to work in theater, did I tell you? (Not that we've met, wink, wink.)

Truth is I still do...

Truth is my "dream" would be:

a) I own a theater
b) I have the funds to support new playwrights, actors, etc
c) I write for the theater myself too
d) I make a living writing books

Yup.

But you live your dream, the hard times and the good times are yours, and I just TOTALLY admire the dedication and work and the GUTS it takes.

So Bravo. You rock.

(btw, ~ Ruth)

6:20 PM  
Blogger ~R said...

Oh, ps, mind if I link yours to my blog? :)

xoxoxoxo

~ me

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home