Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Airways to Southern Italy...

The alarm clock woke me up at 4:00AM this morning. Ugh! That's what I get for booking so early. I got ready and packed my bags for my first Ryan Air experience. The train was easy and apparently free. There were no stalls open for me to scan my ticket and I just walked right onto the platform and walked right out the door upon exiting. I guess if an official came on board, you would need to present a ticket, but no collections were made at the stations themselves. Cool. I got to the bus depot early and no shops were open to get food. Blast! Oh well, I got on a bus pretty much right away and within 30 minutes I was on my way to Beauvais Airport. It would be a 70-minute drive. I was asleep for most of it, but when I did wake up for some of the trip I noticed we were traveling through beautiful farmlands and the sun was just rising over the horizon. This airport was definitely remote and I have a feeling the other 3 airports will be just as remote. I get to the airport with time to spare so I grab some eats at overpriced amounts. Of course. It's an airport. Would I expect anything less? No. I get in line to check in and there is a lot of activity at this airport. Wow! I never expected this much traffic. My Rome flight looked packed. I got up to the counter and I packed well. My check in bag only weighed 9 kilos. This means I have an extra 6 kilos to spare and I will definitely take the load off my backpack in the future flights. I went to the gate and here's where the shuffle began. You see, Ryan Air, like it's counterpart Southwest in the U.S., doesn't have assigned seating. You are first come and first serve. I thought I was in a line for the right counter since all the seasoned travelers were standing there. Turns out it was for a flight to Dublin. Next we shuffled over to another gate while losing space I had in the line. There's a gentlemen at another gate opening a computer terminal and all it took was one man to leave the massive line to check it out before all heads turned and people began shuffling again. I lost more space in line on this third shuffle, but no worries. I got on just fine and got my seat by the window in the rear of the plane. The plane is nothing special. Food and drink are extra and I got the unfortunate luck of being seated next to very curious and playful children. I hope I can make my transfer from the airport in Ciampino to the hostel in the same city smooth so I can maximize my time in the city. Tomorrow I fly from this airport bright and early to Venice. I'm not tired, yet. If I get that train to Prague, I will definitely utilize the sleep time there. I plan to go go go while I'm in Rome and Venice. My next task will be to find the airport supporting Ryan Air in Pisa. That's where I need to catch my flight to London. I think I'll have a nice 3 relaxing days in London before heading back to Amsterdam and the end of my journey.

Well Ciampino is at least closer to the central part of Rome than Beauvais is to the central part of Paris. I flew right over Rome and it was so interesting to see the Coliseum, the Vatican City, and all the aqueducts that once ran through the various parts of the city still standing. We landed and the journey began. I was exhausted. I got my luggage okay and it turns out there was a transfer for €1 to the Ciampino Train Station. This was good because then I would know where it was so I could get to Rome after I checked in. I waited for the public transport to take me to the Ostello de Castello. I didn't realize it was a retreat. It's out in the vineyards of Ciampino. I have a knack for picking these places. Also there's a restriction on when the shuttle operates from the hostel to the train station. Apparently it ends at 6:00PM and I found that out later. I was told it would end at 8:00PM. So I wouldn't get to see Rome nightlife and it was probably best since I have a 6:00AM flight. I learned a few things now since booking this adventure. One is to really check out the places you're looking at no matter how limited you are on time. Make it right. Make it central. The other is being wary of connection times. I was so eager to book flights cheap and fast (same with hostels), I didn't realize I would miss out on things by making flights so early. No bother. I still had a fabulous day in Rome and I still can't believe I'm actually here and doing this. I went into the city and sought out the Spanish Steps. I came here on my first visit to Rome thinking that the cistern at the bottom of the steps (also a fresh water public drinking fountain and a very decorative one) was the Trevi Fountain. Sadly I was mistaken and I didn't see it that day. That was way back in 2000 so even though the Spanish Steps aren't much of a spectacle on a Wednesday afternoon, it was special to me. Normally this place is bustling with artists and musicians, as it was when I came here last time since we had an overnight. This place did house such shops as Armani, Dolce Gabana, Prada, and the like. It was full of chic Italian shops and the people that were shopping in them were dressed for it. I was just in my shorts, T-shirt, and squeaky shoes. I wasn't about to stop since the average price tag was about €400, which is a hell of a lot of money for a piece of clothing. I went out and sought the Trevi Fountain again. This time actually finding it. I was here just months ago, threw my coins in, and alas I return. I did it once again and the right way (over my shoulder). One for return, one for love, and one to find love IN Rome. I grabbed a pizza and gelato and was off again. I debated going to the Vatican City and going up in the Basilica, but my time limit and my aching body was against it. I did stumble upon the Forum and the awesome ruins that surrounded the area between the Emmanuelle Statue and the Coliseum. I spent about an unexpected hour and a half here wandering around taking in all the beauty and the angles and everything. I found an ancient theatre on the outskirts and along the river down below there was an entertainment area where it looks like they were setting up for a reception or conference of some sort. That entertainment/restaurant area was gorgeously set in the valley along where two rivers converge and there was a water fountain on one side. The old ruins were on the hillside behind it leading up to the main road and all the foliage that is representative of Italy and the Mediterranean. It was stunning. I knew now I had to make it back to the train station not only for my rest, but just to get there. Just like being on a cruise ship. Lol.

The place I'm staying in looks like a military barracks situated in the countryside. It's quiet no doubt and I have a 6-bed dorm room all to myself. Woo hoo! I can see why this place doesn't fill up though. After unpacking everything I discovered I lost my adapter for European plugs. Drat!!! That burned me because I could see it sticking in the wall at the other hotel. I'm sure I packed it though and it could have easily fallen out of my bag somewhere it was so small. Ohhh!! It just burns though and now I'll be even more OCD before leaving the hotels. I already am because I do leave at least one thing behind. Why is that? Damnit!! Oh well. I hope I can get one in the next couple stops. Maybe in Venice or at the airport. Now I'm off to be. I have a short sleep to catch up before tomorrow's flight. I'm really excited about Venice and the prospect of going to Prague. If I don't get to Prague, my plans are still open for doing the Tuscan countryside and Verona. This is the part of my itinerary that was a little unplanned and now it's getting a little exciting. I haven't really met anyone yet of note other than those strangers. I suppose if I was meant to meet a friend to travel with, I will. I've been doing fine though and there's only been a few moments where I wish there was someone to talk about how great the day was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home