Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Making Connections...

Day two and it's starting off okay. I went out last night to check out the scene and maybe have a drink. I wasn't feeling it and I was a little anxious about leaving all my bags at the hostel in a room with 6 strangers from different countries. All I had on me was my wallet and various other forms of cards and Ids. My passport, computer, electronics, and all my clothes were sitting on my top bunk at the hostel. They were locked inside, but since it was my first time out I was concerned after all the stories I heard. Surprisingly enough first impressions are the most important. I met my two self-contained roomies earlier and I immediately trusted them. They seemed like seasoned travelers and respectful people even though all we really said to each other was hello. I never met my other roomies since it was Amsterdam and people were out seeing things and partying all night. However, when I ran into this random American man on the street I was suddenly aware of everything I was carrying and every zipper and pocket that could be reached. His shirt was open, he had bad teeth, and he was telling me his story of how he came back to Europe from America and became a European citizen. All he could really do was put down Europe and then two of his buddies breezed past me. I immediately put my sack from my back to my front and held onto my pockets, and I especially held onto the pocket holding all of my money. He completely spoke my language and was totally friendly, but there was a characteristic about him I didn't trust. He just seemed like the disgruntled Americans you find on the streets of NYC who try to con you into something since they practically have nothing. As soon as I told him I've been to Amsterdam on several occasions since I worked on a cruise ship, he was gone. Funny the people we trust. After my shower I just roamed around the city seeing how compact it was in certain popular areas and then how quiet and eerie it was in others. Despite the fact that this is a bustling metropolis, it was quiet all over the city other than the noise coming from the various crowds of people. It's quite amazing how quiet it was compared to NYC or any other U.S. metropolis. Especially one so large as Amsterdam. It's renowned (as I have learned especially with the IBC Conference coming up). I think I chose one of the most expensive European itineraries to travel by backpack. London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Venice, and Prague. I think Prague will be my only cheap venture. Leave it up to me to choose such a ritzy vacation. Anyway, back to quiet. There just aren't that many cars in use. The trams are electric so you only hear the hum as they go by on their metal tracks. It's nothing like the subways in NYC either. These are much quieter as they pass by. There are cyclists EVERYWHERE! Wow. I've never seen so many people at night of various ages riding bikes. Not just any bikes though. There are bikes with baskets of various shapes, bikes with attachment carts, bikes built for speed and low to the ground, and bikes that look like cars. These have to be some of the fittest people on earth. They are also like NYC taxi drivers. Don't get in their way, whoa. I felt just as uneasy about crossing the street here as I do in NYC and there were 85% less cars driving around. It's the bells of the bikes and the ding of the tramcars that keep you on your toes.

Amsterdam at night is such a different experience. Coffee shops are happening everywhere and they're serving very little coffee. I didn't partake only because I was alone and I knew that I wasn't taking a shower in the morning until I got to Paris so I didn't want to reek of smoked weeds. I probably will try a brownie on my next go, but I have to find a place to stay first since this whole IBC Conference has taken all the available hotels. I went to all the gay areas just to see if I wanted to sit down and have a drink. They were all loaded with pretentious tourists (from first impression) and I didn't feel comfortable or the need to sit down and have a drink. Like I said earlier, I wasn't really into it and the bar scene in general is not my scene unless I'm with a group of friends or a friend I know well. I got myself an ice cream and headed back to the hotel. I was exhausted. Especially after WALKING everywhere during the day. As soon as I got myself situated in bed, I was out. I woke up when I heard some roomies coming home, and then went back to sleep again.

This morning I quietly got myself out of the room. I hope I have everything since I didn't do my OCD check of the area before I left. I didn't want to disturb anyone too much since it was 7:00am and judging from when I heard them come in way after midnight, I don't think they wanted to be disturbed. I got on a tram that I and I took advantage of the honor system. I know. Bad me. It all came back though and besides I bought 2 tickets yesterday ON the tram when I only needed to buy one so I feel I paid my dues to the tram. I got to the train station and thought for a moment that I might not make it to Paris since most people nowadays pre-book tickets for everything. So much for "off the cuff" travel these days. I would've pre-booked my trains, but they wanted to snail mail me the tickets, which was not convenient for me at all being on a ship. I was already leery of having my phone delivered to me on board. I got to the international counter and sure enough a ticket was available. Now the question as to whether I had a seat or not was the ultimate question. She asked me to check with the conductor since it was an overbooked ticket. I did pay about $60 more for it than I expected since it was a last minute ticket and seats were sold out. Yikes!! I think it's mainly because it's international travel. I'm sitting in a seat now though and on my way to Paris. My experience there should be a little more relaxed since I have my own room and I have more time there before jumping off to Rome. I just hope I get internet access from my laptop soon.

I'm now sitting in my new room after a completely full day. A song that came on today that I feel summed my emotions up would be "its Today" sung by Angela Lansbury in the musical Mame. It came on since I had my iPod with me when I went to venture out into the city and I felt that was the perfect feeling for the events today. After I finished typing my earlier paragraphs here, I put on my iPod and zoned out taking in the Dutch, Belgian, and French countrysides going by outside my window. I was in and out of sleep after getting exhausted from yesterday's events. In one of my wakings, the guy across from me began to chat. We had been dodging each other's knees in the confined space we were in while trying to make ourselves comfortable. He and his friend were from Guatemala and they were backpacking it through Europe as well. The only difference was that they were doing it for a month and that they had friends to stay with. They were baffled by my story about the last hostel and about how cheap I found my flights to various places. We just talked about different things, but it was very slow and labored since there was a language barrier as you can imagine. Still I'm surprised by how much he could communicate since even being in France with my little knowledge of the French language I couldn't communicate with a French person as well as this guy was communicating with me. He kept conversation going for a while and I didn't mind listening. I could've shut him out, but that would've been rude and I had nothing to do anyway. It was great talking to these people and they seemed as adventurous as I. We exchanged e-mail and they told me to contact them if I ever came down to Guatemala and needed a hotel. He said things were VERY cheap down there. Especially compared to these places in Europe. Four hours later we arrive in Gare du Nord in Paris. I bid my farewells and head off on the platform to make my connections on the metro. I had to take about 3 subway trains to get out to the suburb of Epinay sur Seine. It was the same commute from Paris central to Epinay sur le Seine as it is from Manhattan central to Forest Hills. There is one train that will take me there if I'm in the right area, but since I was coming from an odd location for that route, I had to transfer quite a bit. It was here that I learned that what I packed might be a tad heavy. Yikes! So I made it out there unshowered and a little hot and exhausted. It wasn't what I expected and the neighborhood and distance from Paris was definitely not what I expected. The room is okay. It's a nice sized room with a small bathroom a la dorm style. It smells like mold, but after being on a ship that doesn't seem to faze me anymore. The first thing I did was trying and find food and water. I was extremely parched. I found a Chinese place a few stores down and went inside for a spell. The food was great and then I had Bananas Flambé for dessert. Yummy! I took a shower after getting settled in the new place. It took a while. I didn't want to rush out since I found out when I got here that I didn't originally plan on getting here until 10pm. Good thing I arrived so early because now I could go out and explore the city for a bit of unplanned sightseeing. I wanted to get back early so I could catch up on some rest. I'm here for 3 days so this was fine with me. I ventured out after my body felt clean. Yay!

Here's where the song really comes into play. I was on the train and decided that after 2 attempts of getting to Paris and NOT seeing the Champs Elyseé or the Louvre that would be the FIRST thing I would do. I got out at the Museé d'Orsay and got my bearings. I crossed over the Seine to the Champs Elyseé. As soon as I entered the park its beauty took me aback. It was a long stretch of stone road with trees in perfect rows on either side. There were manicured gardens and fountains all over the place. People lined the area in masses. The vibe was incredible. I walked first toward the fountain that was just next to the Obelisk and the Place de la Madeleine.
A huge square that later I found gave a great picture for the Arc de Triomphe. I snapped some shots and headed toward the Louvre on the Champs Elyseé. People were everywhere just enjoying themselves. Children were playing in the rocks and running around. There were hot dog vendors and people on bikes. If Georges Seurat were alive today this would've been an opportune moment for one of his paintings. In fact, his work and Van Gogh's works were on special display at the Museé d'Orsay. It definitely was a "Sunday in the Park" moment. I came upon an absolutely breathtaking garden and I can now thank my new friend Scott for teaching me to slow down and take in all the beauty around me when it's presented. He definitely had an appreciation and a passion for color, light, and angles and now I see that. I always love new perspectives and interesting ways to take a photo, but now I have this new appreciation especially for different ways the sun comes in and colors these objects. I saw the pyramid in the distance and knew I was near the Louvre. I began to well up with emotion because this is what I always wanted to see in Paris along with the Eiffel Tower and after 2 tries last year, both failed to get me here. It was an absolutely gorgeous day with nary a cloud in the sky other than the poofy white ones that always give me an interesting photo against a sharp cornered object like these old European buildings. I was now on a sight that was part of the story in "The Da Vinci Code. " I never saw the rose line, so I think that was a fictional part that was created unless I didn't look hard enough. I just took in all the beauty here and I must have had a huge smile on my face because as I was taking photos of myself I saw this Asian couple trying to get photos of each other and I offered to take a picture of them. They were grateful, but then the guy asked me to be in a picture with his girlfriend. Okay? I thought this was awkward, but did it anyway. I bid my adieus and went on my merry way. I continued to walk down the Champs Elyseé to find the Lido. Not the Lido restaurant like on the ship, but the famous Lido entertainment center. There's a show there with 70 performers in it much like a flashy Vegas show. I wanted to check it out since I had a coupon for €15 off the price of admission. I got some awesome shots of the Arc de Triomphe as I passed through the square with the Obelisk in it and I saw the Eiffel Tower in the distance and got some great shots of that as well. More parks, more people, and more photo opportunities. Earlier I saw a girl playing with pigeons in the Louvre plaza, a boy and his father looking onward into the fountain as one of the motorized sail boats drifted by, and a couple kissing in the warm sun with the backdrop of the fountain and the Louvre. Ah Paris!!! I was in heaven with beauty and ambiance. I walked onward and came upon the glitzy fashion area of the Champs Elyseé with all the big names like FCUK, Armani, John Paul Gautier, and the like. People were dressed to the nines in fashion (or not in some tourist cases, especially moi). I found the Lido and looked at the prices. Whoa!! Up to €240 for premium service on dinner and a show. It looked like you had to be dressed as well. I was looking more at the €60 option to sit at the bar and order 2 drinks. My discount would bring the entrance cost down to €45 and I could muster that and order the 2-drink minimum. The €15 discount would go towards the drinks anyway. I really want to see the show tomorrow, but I have to make a reservation either by phone or online. I hope the online option works out. I do know the last train to Epinay sur Seine is at 12:30am from the transfer points just down the street from Montmarte. The Lido isn't far from there, but I think I'll catch the 9:30pm show just in case. I had dinner at Georges V right there on the main strip and enjoyed a fabulous meal and some excellent people watching. It was a little pricy, but hey, when am I going to have this opportunity again? The waiters looked like a typical French waiter you'd see in a movie. It was hilarious to me. I was trying to use my French, but most of the time the lack of it got in the way and I broke down and used my English since they knew how to speak it. I left here very satiated and wanted to see Montmarte, but was torn by seeing the Eiffel Tower at sunset. I turned around and headed back to the Eiffel Tower at a fast pace. I was racing the sunset here. I got to the complex just as sunset was happening and got some fabulous photos of the tower. People were lined up all over the place by the Trocadero to grab a photo. The sun seemed to disappear leaving a pink haze over the skyline and then suddenly I saw it. The tower was already lit, but then it was sparkling. It was the Eiffel Tower light show. Whoa!! Didn't expect that one. I went up to the Trocadero area and tried to grab my best photo. After taking all this in on top of the Bohemians also hanging out up there and on the stairs I headed back down since it was getting dark and I knew I'd be heading back to the dorm room soon. Suddenly I saw another surprise. The large orange moon was coming up right behind the tower!!! Whoa!!! What was this?!?!?! I tried to grab my best photo, but I don't think my camera captured it well enough. I was definitely on a high now and was craving something sweet. I went to the ice cream stand and got a cone. Yummy. I took another gander at the tower from its underbelly before I felt satisfied enough to make the journey home. Once I got to the train station in Epinay sur Seine, I check the timetables to find out about the last train. Got it. Then I saw that the local mini mart was open and got a very cheap bottle of water. Tiredness hit me and I was set on getting back now. As I was passing a bus stop a guy directed me over and asked if he could swig off my drink. I thought "why not?" He only wants a swig. This turned into an hour-long conversation of him telling me about his woes with his father. All this done in broken English and me in broken French. I stayed to chat only because he seemed like a nice guy AND I thought if this wasn't immersion into the language, what else would be? He had about as much knowledge of English as I did French, but I think he still had more knowledge than I in the language matter. This was good since he was talking so much. Evidently his father is a billionaire and wants him (his only son) to follow in his engineering business. He (the son) wants to be in politics and his father says he's crazy and doesn't support him. He was looking for some advice and all I could tell him to my best ability was to follow his heart and not let other people influence decisions that might make him unhappy. He went on to tell me about his crazy father and unsupportive family. I tried to communicate, but it was getting frustrating for me because sometimes I could barely understand his English let alone his mumbled French. I told him we're at opposite ends of the spectrum here. He comes from billions and I come from nowhere near that; he's French & I'm American; and he travels. He has a lot of ideas in his head about businesses he's like to give a chance, but his dad will not help. He kept on going and I so wanted to fully understand. I just couldn't. I finally left, but I don't know why that was supposed to happen. Now I sit here satisfied from an incredible day. The leaves are turning here too, so this adds so much more to the beauty of things. It was a full moon out tonight, so this may explain all the weird things that happened.

Tomorrow is another day and night in Paris. I'll see what transpires. There are city bikes you can pay for with a credit card. I think I might look into that one. I also have to find Beauvais Airport since it's not on he local city map. I shall sleep good tonight. Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home