Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The New Phenom..

Ten years ago I signed up for my first AOL account. In college I always had the benefits of a campus wide ethernet. It was the high speed messaging of the time on my lovely 386 PC (some of you even ask "What was that?"). Oh how the times have changed. It was AOL IM for a while. My mom soon got on. My dad was on yahoo and then the other family members. I was soon connecting with cousins, grandmas, aunts, uncles and friends all over the country. This kept up for a while before Friendster came up some time ago. It was "hip" to be "invited" to be on the site. You couldn't just GET on, but you had to be "invited." It was all over the radio. Soon it was a phenom. Anyone who was anyone had a Friendster page. Then a new generation of similar pages started sprouting up for different groups. Hybrids. Spawn. Newer and promising to be better. The Friendsters defected to their perspective groups and soon the Friendster clan was a dying breed. They've gotten "hip" to the newer pages, but it's still not the same. Then, a new baby came to being. MYSPACE!!!! It seemed like it came out of no where. I was hanging out with friends one day and they were all talking about how they "found" each other on myspace. I watched a movie and it was quoted in the scene. Myspace. Myspace. Myspace. Soon, I was drawn in. My 19 year old friend at the time inspired me to go on. I started a page while out to sea, but because of the huge graphics involved I couldn't check it too often because of the speed of the internet available. Soon, I had a plethera of messages asking about pictures and friend requests. "Hold On!!" I shout at my computer. I just got started. Yikes! So I add a few pictures and tell a few more friends. Now some friends communicate through Myspace and they're better at replying there than on regular e-mail. Could e-mail be the new "snail mail?" AOL has downgraded to be "free" to compete with other sites like Yahoo and Hotmail. The only way you pay for AOL is if you use their host connection. If you have your own (which is most likely with all the wireless hook-ups floating around in the air) then it's free! Wow. I think the post office should follow suit. I mean, who sends a letter anymore? Now it's just a comment on Myspace.com. Incidentally, you can check out my growing baby page at www.myspace.com/chrissersworld. However I will stay true to blogspot and post my thoughts, inspirations, and adventures here. See you in cyber space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home