Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Exploring New Territory..

Constanta, Istanbul, Kusadasi, and now Rhodes. Tomorrow is Egypt. The days are going by one by one. The only new port I haven't seen on this contract was today in Rhodes, Greece. It was my favorite 6 years ago and it was just confirmed today as my favorite again. I guess I have many favorites on this itinerary, but this one makes the top five. It's just a cute little port with so much history and art inside. You walk into town on the outside of this brick wall and then you enter through one of its many entrances. The streets are lined with stones and everything inside those walls have character right down to the arts and crafts sold in the stores. Even the cafes have character. It's just a day of pure enjoyment as the town takes you right back to the medieval days of castles and knights. Linens are a big sale item here along with a Greek liquor called Ouzo. I guess its licorice liquor. There's plenty of spinach pie, crepes, and olives to go around. It was a short day though since we left for Cairo at 1pm today. Boo. This is one port that needs to have a longer port time. I know Egypt is the highlight of this cruise, but then we should skimp on one of those Black Sea ports that we spend too much time in. Kusadasi and Istanbul were also delightful ports to visit. In Istanbul I went off with one of my friends and we saw the Blue Mosque in old Istanbul. In the earlier part of the contract we'd always take a cab to Taksim Square to take in the marvelous hip shopping available there. This time I went and saw a place where the Turks take worship. Of course you had to take off your shoes and make sure you were covered. Unlike Western religions there were no pews, just open space where people just knelt and prayed while service was happening. Over the loud speakers outside we heard an eerie call and response between 2 mosques of sung prayer. We took in the Grand Bazaar and looked at all the leather goods and rugs. Turkish rugs a HUGE there as well as leather. I didn't do much buying since I was informed a lot of the same things would be better priced in Kusadasi. The next day we were there and I did a lot of shopping in the bazaar area. I came back on board for a little sun nap and then ventured off on my own to see some local sights. Afterward I met up with a few people and took in a nice dinner in port since we were there so late. It was a nice couple of days. Tomorrow is Alexandria, Egypt. I've seen the glory of the pyramids and had a day in Alexandria so there's no need to venture out this late in the contract and with 4 days before I leave this ship. The sister ship and my future home, the Prinsendam, will be in port with us so we're going to venture over and check it out. Also, it should be nice and hot and sunny, so some definite rays are in the mix for tomorrow. Constanta was still unimpressive. We had a show once again that day so it left the tour possibility out of the question. I took out a bike and toured the countryside a little. I guess I couldn't go as far as I needed. I could do without this port again. Only 4 more days now and 2 more fabulous ports coming up before landing in Venice, Italy. I'm sad I don't get to spend more time in Venice, but I shall see Venice again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home