Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Long Stretch..

Today will be the third day of my 6 days on board. I switched out Rome so that little Nicole would have a chance to see Rome since I've already been there before and have the chance to revisit again. I'm also missing Monte Carlo, Kusadasi, and Malta this cruise. The next time I can see port is in Athens, Greece. Whoa. I've just been finding things to do and getting some rays. As we all nicknamed this safety duty "in port tanning." The last time I was off was in Barcelona, Spain. We got out as early as we could and strolled through town. I was tired so all I really wanted to do was take in some tapas, have sangria, and do some light shopping. We strolled through the main strip seeing all the various street performers. Some were still doing their performances that I saw last time about 3 months ago. We went farther into town, without bikes, and took in the sight of the Casa Botló. It's one of Antoní Gaudi's pieces. He influenced most of Barcelona in architectural style before his death in 1926. He was the project director for the construction of the Temple la Sagrada Familia, which is still under construction and is not projected to be finished until 2040 or something like that. It will almost be 2 centuries old by the time it does get finished. Anyway, his style is all over Barcelona in various buildings and even on some of the city benches. There's a whole park dedicated to his art and style that we didn't make it to on any of our visits. It's really inland. We did make it to the Casa though, which is up a few blocks from the major strip. The roofs make the building look cartoonish and the other ones next to it have so much detail in them. The balconies of the main building have railings that look like skull heads and some of the supports are fashioned in a way to appear bonish. It was really fascinating to see. After our long walk to see this building of art, we strolled back to town to catch something to eat and have a little sangria. Mmm good. We walked back to the ship after an eventfully warm sunny day. Now I don't see land again until Thursday. Whoa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home