Chris' Waves to Broadway

The crazy thoughts and adventures that take me out of my Forest Hills home and hopefully lead me back to the Broadway lights.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Monday, October 15, 2007

Family and Friends Refresher...

It's been a good month of friends and family. I came home to Ohio with a lot on my plate, but seeing and being near family has been great nonetheless. It's always good to refresh on your roots no matter what's happening in life. I spent a lot of my time just re-energizing and relaxing. I saw some friends in the midst of it all. I don't have many in Ohio anymore. A lot have either moved away or I've just lost contact with them. Although in this day and age of e-mail and new internet groups, a few have found me. I had about 3 weeks at home in Ohio before hopping on a plane to NYC. I didn't want to pack my home time with a lot of events simply because I just wanted to re-coop from the worldly adventures. I took many relaxing and stimulating bike rides through the glorious Metro park system. The Metro parks are awesome with all these trails and beautiful landscapes. I got to see many members of my family and even spent a weekend at my brother's place. Now I'm in NYC and my life is busy again.

I'm realizing that 2 weeks just wasn't a long enough visit in some aspects, but just long enough in other aspects. I'm so much enjoying my time here with friends and have another week of action packed scheduling with them including an evening on a Broadway stage. Yes, ON the stage. Granted I will be on stage watching the show, I can still say I was on a Broadway stage. Anyway, it has been busy meeting everyone and trying to see everyone that I can. Thanks to all the parties I went to while here, I made a bunch of friends who are great at keeping in touch and want me to visit. It's lovely and hard to see those in such a short amount of time since everyone else works during the day. However the city can be draining especially when you're not working or have no intention of working. Thank goodness I have the kindness of friends letting me into their homes, but just entertainment and food can drain the savings real fast when nothing is coming in. Also the temptation and draw of the city is so strong, and keeping it at bay while here can be hard if you're here too long. The auditions happen everyday and the art vibe here is amazing. I have been lucky with timing though and saw a lot of people already just on coincidence. More than I thought I would see. I also got to see a few shows including the new rock opera called "Spring Awakening" with the music of Duncan Sheik. These kids are rockin'! They are all in their younger 20s or even teens and they have these killer recording voices. Whoa!! I was blown away. The story wasn't the greatest, but the entertainment value behind it was hoppin'. I got to see some fabulous little productions and even a burlesque show that Margaret Cho is hosting in Hell's Kitchen. Along with that I've been out for a drink or two and a gathering or two. This weekend was especially fabulous since we took some cars and made a caravan out to Long Island for some wine, deliciously fabulous sweet corn dipped in butter, hayrides, pumpkins, corn mazes, songs, steak and friends. It was an eventful Sunday starting out at 9:00am, which was difficult to start sans coffee at first and a late night the previous night (the Margaret Cho event started at 11:00pm). We started in the ole "Enchanted Forest" as some call it (Forest Hills) at the diner for a good and hearty breakfast and LOTS of coffee. Yay! We then took the drive out to the north fork. I was asleep most of the way of course. We got to a goat farm first to sample some delicious goat cheese and see the cute goats on the farm. My friend Brooke was like a goddess when she went into the pen since the goats followed her practically everywhere and where climbing on top of her. It was hilarious. She had about enough after 10 minutes as anyone would if a herd just kept following you everywhere. I guess it just depends on the herd, but yes goats… 10 minutes… plenty of time. We got on the road and starting our wine tasting tour that started at a Ackerly Pond winery and ended at Borghese winery. The wine tastings were fabulous and at every place we had a grand time chuckling all the way and changing up cars between the vivacious musical theatre car and the more relaxing hits car. We stopped at a pumpkin patch after indulging in the fine tastes of the vineyards near the twilight of the day and had some delicious roasted sweet corn so infamously called sex corn (nicknamed by our group of course). So called because it is roasted on the grill fresh of the husks and then dipped in a sweet melted butter pot. It's hot, fresh, crisp, and juicy. So incredibly good. Yum!! My mouth waters just thinking of it and I had 2 husks that day. Whoa! We then made our merry way into the cornfields where we took a hayride singing all the way and then meandered through the corn maze. There was lots of fun at every corner as we all got split up and met up again at the end. There was some confusion since we lost a few people in the corn and had to wait for their reappearance. Hilarious. After this stop our bellies were screaming for food and our bodies were exhausted. We ended up at a steak house and had a fabulously indulgent meal. Brooke cleaned her steak down to the bone and the bone was whiter than I ever seen after she was finished. She loves her meat. We had plans to see the movie Xandau before Tuesday's event, but we were all exhausted. We just ended up going home and crashing for the night. Oh it was fabulous.

This week is no exception. There are still more lunches, dinners, shows, and nights out to be had. All the way up until Sunday where I return to the quiet city of Cleveland. It's pretty strange saying the quiet city of Cleveland, but after NY and L.A., it can't match up to the activities that transpire. Soon after I will be in L.A. in rehearsal for my last cruise adventure. It's hardly an adventure compared to the last 2, but my last nonetheless. I mean it this time. This will give me the savings I need to come back full force into the throbbing vibe of NYC.

By the way if you thumb back though postngs dated back to the beginning of June, you will notice some lovely photos attached from my adventures. I had over 3,000 to choose from, but I narrowed it down to a select few. Enjoy!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home